These days with the conflict between Israel and the Gaza Strip, most artists and celebrities are either postponing or cancelling their trips to Israel. Jesse Eisenberg, however, stuck to his resolve and decided to visit Israel anyway.
Freshly casted as Lex Luthor in “Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice,” Eisenberg made an appearance Thursday at the Beit Lessin Theater in Tel Aviv, where a Hebrew adaptation of “The Revisionist” premiered.
Having starred alongside Vanessa Redgrave in the original US version, Eisenberg was invited to speak during a Q&A session held at the end of the theater production.The actor chose this moment to tell Israel’s residents how pleased he was to visit the country and that he had no reservations whatsoever about visiting.
“If there was any sign that I would be endangered somehow, I would have hesitated to come, but that wasn’t the case. Israel is a wonderful country, and it is an unfortunate time, of course, for people living here, but for me this has been a very good week,” Eisenberg told the audience.
While this past week might not have been the most ideal time to make his very first visit to Israel, Eisenberg made the most of it. The “Social Network” Oscar nominee ended up visiting Jerusalem, as well as the northern cities of Acre and Haifa.
He even hopes to visit the war-ridden southern area of Israel during his next visit.
“Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice,” starring Eisenberg as Lex Luthor, Ben Affleck as Batman, and Henry Cavill as Superman, is scheduled to hit movie theaters in May 2016.
American radio personality, Howard Stern, goes on a pro-Israel rant during his radio show.
Veteran Canadian singer Paul Anka, who was forced to cancel his July 24 and July 26 concerts in Tel Aviv due to the IDF operation in Gaza and the ongoing rocket fire on Israel, will return to Israel for his fifth visit in October.
Upon announcing the cancellation on Sunday, the show’s producers assured Anka’s fans that “once the local situation is resolved, he will be there with the latest version of his fantastic performance.”
The producers said Tuesday that the concerts would be rescheduled for October 17 and October 18 at the at the Charles Bronfman Auditorium in Tel Aviv. Tickets purchased for the July 24 show will be valid for October 17 at 9 pm, while tickets purchased for July 26 will be valid for October 18 at 9 pm. Ticket holders who are unable to attend the concert on the new date may turn to the Leaan ticket office at *8780 in order to change the date or receive a refund.
The producers of the boy band’s three concerts, which were scheduled to be held at the Ra’anana Amphitheater on July 29, 30 and 31, said in a statement issued Sunday morning: “Unfortunately, we are forced to postpone the Backstreet Boys shows in light of the security situation and the fear for the audience’s safety. The show will be held at an alternative date during the spring (March-April) of 2015.”
The band members said in the statement that they were very disappointed as they had been looking forward to the visiting Israel for the first time and meeting their fans.
They added that they were working on new dates for the show and would inform the ticket purchasers as soon as possible. They concluded the statement by sending their love to everyone in Israel.
According to the show’s production, the purchased tickets will be valid for the future concerts, but anyone interested in receiving a full refund will be able to do so.
Veteran Canadian singer Paul Anka, who was scheduled to perform at the Charles Bronfman Auditorium in Tel Aviv on July 24 and July 26, also decided Saturday to cancel the two concerts due to the security situation in Israel.
“Due to the current situation in the Middle East, Paul Anka and the local promoters will be postponing his upcoming concerts,” his rep said in a statement. “Management is in constant communication with our local promoter friends, trying to find a solution to the rescheduled dates.
“Once this is worked out in the next few days, the local promoter will make the announcement. We ask all current ticket holders to keep their tickets and await that announcement. Mr. Anka assures you that once the local situation is resolved, he will be there with the latest version of his fantastic performance.”
The show’s production in Israel offered the following statement: “In the coming week, we will issue a proper announcement for all ticket buyers about two alternative dates for a concert this October.”
Yoav Tzemach, the show’s producer and Anka’s representative in Israel, told Ynet on Saturday: “We spoke to Paul Anka yesterday night. He is afraid to come here in the current situation, and it’s understandable. After all, Israel is in a state of war. This isn’t a cancellation, but a postponement of the show.”
This would have been Anka’s fifth visit to Israel following the success of his previous concerts in the country. The veteran singer is joining musician Neil Young, Jazz pianist Chick Korea and the bands Brian Jonestown Massacre and America, which have already called off their performances in Israel due to the military operation in Gaza.
Wyclef along with other artists, like: Femi Kuti, the Bucovina Club Orksetar, J.Viewz, and some other big names in the Israeli groove scene, will preform at this overnight festival- beginning at sunset and ending at sunrise. The festival was inspired by the multi-cultural music scene, and furthermore, works to expose unique underground vibes.
Rihanna,one of the most successful singers in the world, deleted a #FreePalestine tweet eight minutes after posting it on Tuesday, replacing it with a new, less controversial tweet.
In the new tweet, posted several hours later, Rihanna wrote: “Let’s pray for peace and a swift end to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict! Is there any hope?…” She added a picture of a Jewish boy wearing a skullcap hugging an Arab boy wearing a keffiyeh.
The original tweet was likely deleted following a wave of angry comments, but a source close to the singer says it was never meant to be sent out in the first place.”She deleted it because it was never meant to be tweeted,” the source told the TMZ website. “She didn’t even realize it was a tweet until she started hearing from her fans.” The source added that Rihanna was reading about the Middle East conflict online when she clicked a link, and the next thing she knew her fans were asking her why she was pro-Palestine.
The disappearing tweet incident was reported by many websites, some of which questioned the odd excuse. TMZ added a survey asking its readers whether they believed Rihanna’s story. Unsurprisingly, most of them did not find the excuse credible.
New York Magazine wrote, “They’re not even trying with the hacker excuses anymore,” while The Examiner noted that “any of you tweeters out there know that it’s not so easy to post on Twitter without the deliberate act of typing a message or pasting it from some other source, although sometimes an article or video can be twitter from an icon link, but even then you have to submit it by pressing ‘tweet!’”
The TMZ source concluded by saying that Rihanna is not pro-Palestine or pro-Israel. “She is pro-peace. She doesn’t want innocent people dying.”